Thursday, September 24, 2009

Potty Training... 20 Days Later :-)

So the potty training thing has definitely had it's ups and downs. When we started, Amelia really had a fear of actually "going" on the potty. I didn't think that the timing was right, and when I talked to the pediatrician she said not to push it, that she wasn't ready. So I settled for putting cloth trainers on her so she could at least feel when she had gone to hopefully ease into the process. She soon got on track and actually began to get more excited when she went. Once we started on Saturday I never went back to diapers. She's been using the potty more often than NOT over the last week or so and has had VERY few accidents over the last 4 or 5 days.

I would say that we are approximately 75% there. She still needs to work on getting #2 in the potty and going when we are out and about. She did SO well on Tuesday when we went to South Portland. It's a 45 minute drive and although we needed to stop at a gas station halfway there Amelia was dry the entire day. She did have an accident during the way back while she was sleeping in the car. We'll get there! My goal was to be trained by Christmas but we are well ahead of the game! She had NO accidents yesterday but then had TWO accidents while we were at my aunt's house this morning so it seems to be touch and go. I'm so proud of her though. We have been so busy the past couple of weeks and I know that if we can just get some time where we are just HOME for two or three days in a row she will have it mastered!! Originally I had waited because everything I read says that it's more difficult to potty train a child when a NEW baby enters the picture and I really wasn't in a hurry to potty train at that point, but it's actually been difficult to try to keep Andrew occupied while Amelia is constantly going to the bathroom... it would have been easier had Andrew been a little younger and I could have just popped him in the swing for a bit. Oh well, he's been very good about it and even sits in his Bumbo in the bathroom with us if need be!

Ah well, Amelia is proud and can master everything about the process from undressing and redressing to turning on the water and washing her hands. If I could TRUST her in the bathroom by herself she really wouldn't even need me in there except that there would be toilet paper all over the place and soap and water everywhere!

No comments: